Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Where the Magic Happens

Last night, a friend and I were driving down the highway in a red Buick, long in the front and cutting through the night like a shark.

(I know, I'm good.)

Anyway, we're talking about what you might expect when it's nearly midnight and you're on the highway. And then we're pulling into one of those gas stations - the kind that looks alive at night.

(I know, I'm good.)

Anyway, we come pulling in and this place looks like something out of a movie.  Truckers are roaming around.  There's a surly woman manning the coffee machines - or would that be womaneering the coffee machines?  Anyway, you get the point.  My friend, Jeff, is all, "Hey what's the freshest coffee?"  And she's like, "They're all fresh, I just put them out."  And Jeff says, "Which one do you recommend?"

Yeah, I know.

Anyway, this lady starts on about how, "Well, I guess that depends on what kind of coffee you like."  All surly and I gave Jeff this Look which I hoped he read to mean, "Well, that wasn't very nice."

Jeff ended up going with the Sumatra, mainly because it had a Tiger on the label.

The whole place was alive.  Full of characters.  And it took me back to high school, to those late night drives that never had a purpose.  Me, my friends - sometimes a girl - just doing nothing.  Just to be out and alive and, well, young.

As Jeff was getting a taco and some Corn Nuts, I said, "This is where things really happen, you know? This is the sort of place, in high school, where you kiss the girl.  Where you make life decisions." And, granted, that's a bit overdone, but I really believe it's true.

None of my transformational moments happened on the side of a mountain, on a beach, or in any other sort of exotic location.  They happened in 24-hour pancake houses, in restaurant parking lots, in the passenger seats of friend's cars.

And when I write YA fiction, I try to go back to those moments.  I try to extract the importance in those mundane places.  I try to remember what it's like to be young, to have just enough novelty left that a Pilot gas station is still a place of wonder. A place where something can happen.

I guess I'm talking about setting.  And I guess I'm wondering if any of you have a strong sense of place in your writing, or maybe if you pick it up in the books you read.  I guess I'm wondering if I'm the only one who walks into a truck stop and sees the people from my books -  clutching half-warmed burritos - and thinks, "This is where the magic happens."

6 comments:

  1. I am sure I have visited that Pilot gas station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exit 263, if I'm not mistaken...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're talking about far more than setting. You're onto chemistry, circumstance, and yes...magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were observant enough to glean more meaning from the mundane. I need people like you to show it to me. That's one thing I really envy about you and your writing.

    You don't, by any chance, offer 'mundane-meaning-gleaning' lessons do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray: I'll give you lessons in the mundane if you teach me how to write something remotely commercial...

    ReplyDelete