Friday, December 4, 2009

My Bookstore *cough* adventure

I was feeling bad about the whole, Adult books are the spawn of satan tone of the last post. So I decided to hit the bookstore in search of an adult book I could read when I finish Catching Fire.

I wasn't sure where to start. I floated around the nonfiction section for a bit, but felt like I really needed to embrace an adult novel. So I walked over to that part of the store and started looking around. I grabbed a copy of Cormic McCarthy's book The Road, and looked at Everything is Illuminated - both books that I think I'd enjoy.

(Enter hipster book store employee)

Hipster Book Store Employee: Can I help you find anything?
Awesome Me: No thanks, I'm just looking for some adult books.
HBSE: Oh, you mean Erotica?
AM: Um, no...
HBSE: Erotica is located...
AM: No, I meant adult fiction. I read a lot of young adult fiction, so I was looking for something like this *wags THE ROAD at HBSE*
HBSE: OHHHH, you mean literature (imagine snooty fake English accent here)
AM: Um, no...adult fiction.
HBSE: Yes, literature
AM: *sigh*

I took The Road and Everything is Illuminated to the coffee shop part of the book store and started flipping through them, trying not to get all ruffled about her literature comments.

Everything is Illuminated looked like something I'd really dig, and I have a couple of friends who put it on the same level as Catcher in the Rye in terms of 'important' books everybody needs to read. The Road intrigued me simply because McCarthy is a literary beast, and I'd really like to see how somebody like him does dystopian.

I ended up buying both of them (I had a coupon, man...) and for the first time in a few years, I'm excited about reading something outside of YA. I think the outside influence of great nonfiction and fiction (regardless of age designation) can only help in my ability to tell a story - why limit myself to only learning from YA? So, I'm excited.

Stay tuned for upcoming reviews and serious literary analysis.*







*I wouldn't get too excited.

10 comments:

  1. The Road is awesome. I also liked The Art of Racing in the Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Road, but haven't read it yet.

    So you bag on Adult fiction for being to pretentious and serious and then come home with a McCarthy? Bah! Get some cheese in that bag!

    Get some Cussler, some Hiassen, Preston & Child, heck, anything from the Hard Case Crime series. I promise a few hours of goofy fun, outlandish plots and absolutely nothing to bother your big author noggin!

    You crack me up, brother. I guess that's kind of what you get for shopping in Corvalis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words: Christopher Moore. He is not literary. Not even close. But he is a highly intelligent man and his books reflect both that and a terrific sense of humor.

    Personally, I like his older stuff better than his newer books (personal taste). Here's a link to an excerpt of one of my favorites: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff":

    http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/index.cfm?book_number=1009

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Road is brilliant and intense and in my personal top 5 books. It'll haunt you for a long time. Be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristopher: Ha, guilty. I admit it: I will seek out the literary more often then not. I've never read anything by McCarthy, but this looked interesting. Still, guilty as charged...

    Mary: I love Lamb. I've read a lot of Christopher Moore, and when I was writing adult-focused fiction, I would've considered myself similar in style to him, Nick Hornby, and Tom Robbins.

    K.M. - oh no...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what? I think Everything Is Illuminated deserves all the hype it got. Honestly. I remember when it first came out and I read it and thought WHAT AM I DOING I'LL NEVER WRITE ANYTHING THIS BRILLIANT! And then maybe I cried. Or maybe I cried because the book was that good.

    The movie is incomparable to the book. I hope you haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do want to read The Road...but like you, I read more YA (and picture books) now than anything. That said I actually am now reading adult fiction (ahem, literature..or not), only because I love True Blood on HBO so I am reading the books by Charlaine Harris that it's based upon. But I am also reading The Lightning Thief which I really like so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy CHristopher Moore too, he's really great. Makes the job look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snobs abound.
    But for the record, I worked in a bookstore for a while, and I don't think I had any coworkers who really looked down their nose at YA or MG. At least, none who would say something like that publicly... I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Road, hated Catcher In The Rye and I too think referring to books for grown ups as "adult fiction" is weird.

    ReplyDelete