Sunday, November 1, 2009

In Which My Revision Takes Me Many Odd Places

I've been doing a lot of research lately. And by 'research', of course I mean watching old music videos on youtube and clips from old movies like:




Now, you might be thinking: Oh, Bryan is sooooo awesome....

That is normal.

But some of you also might be thinking: Research? I've been researching the habits of 17th Century Witches for my new YA novel! Now THAT'S research!

That is not normal.

Still, I've been doing my own weird form of research a lot as I've been working on this revision. Today, as I was waiting for some kids to show up for a youth event (I'm a youth pastor), I re-wrote a section that I really liked in previous drafts. Without going into too much detail (I'd hate to get you too excited...), my MC waxes philosophical on how Daniel-san would never leave Ali (Elizabeth Shue) like what they had in Karate Kid didn't mean something. He wouldn't just blow her off and high-tail it to Okinawa with Miyagi like some chump.

No idea what I'm talking about? Well, check this out:



Daniel-san wouldn't be participating in some Tea Ceremony...he'd be off trying to win back Elizabeth Shue. At least, according to my main character.

Of course, as I'm writing this part I started thinking about Peter Cetera. I mean, who wouldn't, right? Right....? Because Glory of Love? From what I remember, that was a kickass jam.

For you, friends:



Time has a way of making you reevaluate what kickass means.


And while this might not seem like revision, for me it is. I'm finding that a couple sentences here and there (based on my research, of course) takes a great line and gives it substance. It goes beyond just purple prose, and turns it into something that points to why my character believes something, and who he is.

Okay, I gotta go do some more research...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I have belted out Glory of Love in my youth.
    I should watch Karate Kid with my kids, they would get a kick out of it!
    Good luck with your um, research. And revisions too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evidently I have been going about my revisions ALL WRONG. Thanks for helping me see the light. And I definitely remember Peter Cetera rockin' out in Glory of Love. Now that I hear it again, well, there's just no rockin'. That's a little sad.

    ReplyDelete