Tuesday, October 20, 2009

16 Days

As of yesterday, I am officially the client of Michael Bourret of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management.

He represents peeps like Sara Zarr, Heather Brewer, Lisa McMann, Nova Ren Suma, and James Dashner (all of which have amazing books out on the YA shelves.) I queried him on 9/30 and received a request for a full on my manuscript about 30 minutes later. At first, honestly, I didn't know much about him. A fellow writer friend suggested that I query him, because she said his list included similar writers (and she had never heard anything negative about him...a rarity, I guess.) After he requested, I did some research. Very quickly he became my top choice - just based on what I've read online.

Fast-forward two weeks. I get an offer from an agent, which I keep to myself - really, NOBODY knew. I did this for a couple of reasons. 1.) There was no connection during our phone conversation. 2.) This particular agent wanted to ruin my book. And, of course, by ruin my book I actually mean, ruin my book. Basically, I completely disagreed with that particular agent's vision of my book.

So, I declined.

Then came the Rejections. Like five of them all, bam. bam bam. I had four agents still reading my book, all of which were alerted to my offer of representation.

Suddenly that seemed like a really bad idea. I had agents dropping me like I was leg warmers and this was 2009. Seriously.

I wake up, October 14th, convinced that no agent is going to rep my book. I do the worst thing possible and print out another copy of the ms and read it...with my red pen.

The good thing: I really enjoy the book.
The bad thing: I realize it isn't really ready.

October 15th: Wake up with two rejections in my inbox. I'm actually cool with it, because I know that I've got some work to do on the book, etc. And even though I've got two other agents reading, I still get started on preparations for a grand re-write (while looking up a new host of agents.)

Then...and E-mail from Michael.

Long story short, the next day he offers to represent me. I contact the final agent and schedule a phone call.

Yesterday, I officially sign the contract with Dystel & Goderich.

I'm a part of the same literary agency as Obama, suckas!

Ultimately, what led me to pick Michael? His revision ideas were spot-on. And now, after I've read the book again with the various cuts he suggested....I see how better it's going to be when we get finished with it. Also, he just gets what I'm trying to do with the premise - and that's amazing, awesome, and inspiring (all at the same time.)

So, yeah - I've got an agent. And it all took 16 days....

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations - you will be very happy with Michael - he's my agent and just sold my book. Good luck going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan--I just wanted to pop over from Verla's and say an official congrats. Your thread 'My friends all hate me now' was something I looked forward to checking out each day. It's wonderful to hear a story like yours--it balances out the many, many stories of painful waiting.

    So, officially, CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly awesome. Congratulations. I hope you get a quick sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 16 days! You suck (not really). Seriously, that is awesome!! Congrats, Bryan!
    When your book sells (and it will), I will have "Paradise City" as my Tune for Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Bryan. Can't wait to see the book on shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody...but feel comforted in the fact that I have a major revision coming. There will be no quick sales! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Bliss, may I just say that you are the coolest person ever? Beyond the fact that you are both Jedi and ninja at the same time, your writing and your 'landing-an-agent' story are simply phenomenal.

    Will you be my BFF?

    (Omigosh!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only if you like unicorns and rainbows, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phone call with MY agent this morning...0_o...gonna go over the revision I'm about to get started on. Completely removing one big storyline from the book to make it less busy. Plus, as he noted, it doesn't really advance the book (as much as I like wrestling Guatemalans, that part is out).

    I'm actually excited to revise...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make sure you get the wrestling Guatemalans in the next book. Maybe the whole story could revolve around them. (And they say it's all been done before.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ACTUALLY....I did think about writing a story around the deleted character. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Bryan, I don't even care about this stuff, but read it because of Ray Veen posting on FB. I am thrilled for you! Your excitement comes through every word you posted. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found you through Ray Veen. Great story. So if the wrestling Guatemalans are out I can't wait to see what remained in. Look forward to hearing about the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Headed over here from Ray Veen's blog... Congratulations, awesome story. I had a full out with Michael about 18 months ago, and though he ultimately rejected it, he was an absolute gent. You've landed a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Came from Veen's. Can't wait to see your book on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soooo exciting. I'm nervous about querying an agent. I've met some top notch editors, but no agents. Sending my ms out is a bit nerve racking. Do you feel like Michael is your agent or your agent for one project?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't explain in words how awesome Michael is. Congrats again! I'm so happy for you, Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats Bryan. I saw your posts on Backspace and followed them here. Hooray that you snagged an agent. We're doing our own version of NaNoWriMo over there if you need encouragement while pounding out that revision. You can do NaNoReviseMo. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay yay yay! Rock on with your non-biscuit self!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I blink and what happens? Congratulations!! Especially, congrats on being brave enough to say no to the agent that wasn't a good fit. It opened the door for better things...obviously. :D

    -Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I followed the breadcrumb trail Ray left. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete